I get questions every day about laser tattoo removal because it is an interesting and complicated topic. While performing some of my own research, I realized that others would probably like to use these resources I found to learn more themselves.
The following list provides 10 resources that can help you learn and understand more about tattoo removal. Some are academic papers, most are articles about laser tattoo removal or other aspects of the art of tattoo. Please enjoy!
- Web MD – This webpage provides a good high-level working knowledge about laser tattoo removal. I recommend reading if you want to know what to expect when you come in for a treatment.
- Kirby-Desai Scale – This webpage from Astanza Laser is a good introduction to the Kirby-Desai scale. It also describes how to use the scale, so that you can understand how many treatments you may need to remove your tattoo.
- Laser Tattoo Removal Video – One of the best ways to learn about something is to watch it happen. This link will take you to a video we produced that demonstrates laser tattoo removal in action.
- NPR – National Public Radio published an interesting article talking about how ink is trapped in the skin. This is recommended reading for easily understood explanations of the science behind tattooing.
- Science World – Science World gives a bit about the psychology behind tattoos and the potential stigma around them. Also has a short explainer about the process behind tattoo ink entering the skin.
- Skin Cancer Foundation – With a laser light based therapy, skin cancer is a concern for many. The skin cancer foundation went to an expert to understand the risks.
- Inverse – Interesting article from Inverse about why tattoo ink stays in the skin. Even though our skin is constantly repairing itself, our immune system makes certain that the ink cannot leave.
- The Atlantic – This fascinating article from The Atlantic gives a deep dive into the history of tattooing and attempted tattoo removal. Tells the story of some of the first Europeans to “accidentally” get a tattoo.
- National Institute of Health, Eric F. Bernstein – Dr. Bernstein provides a synthesis of the scholarly literature surrounding tattoo removal. He does a very nice job of consolidating the information and presenting it in an easy-to-understand manner.
- National Institute of Health, William Kirby, Alpesh Desai, et. al – A deep explainer for the Kirby-Desai scale, including the research supporting the scale. Recommended for those who want to understand the research underpinnings of the scale.
Well, I hope you have enjoyed some of the recommended reading about laser tattoo removal! These 10 resources have helped us to understand and explain the process around laser tattoo removal, and I hope they helped you understand as well.
If you’d like to book your free consultation, please feel free to give us a call or click on our online booking widget!